Kissing Frogs

Kissing Frogs

Friday 23 August 2013

Mr 'I'm so over her...honest'



Location: Local pub
Length of date: 3 hours
Number of drinks: 4
Compatibility rating: 7/10
My second experience of online dating came about not too long after I’d said goodbye to Mr Dull….
Rich and I had been messaging for a while before arranging to meet locally. He seemed funny and self-deprecating, whilst at the same time confident and charming. (omg…could I be onto a winner?!) The only thing left was to see if the ‘spark’ was there (important thing the ‘spark’….for me it’s a need to have rather than a nice to have)…..
Rich arrived for our date in the pub down the road looking really alright (my excitement levels were increasing by this point). We got our drinks and sat down where the first 10 minutes was spent over trivial chit chat (good day? Yeah, yours? Get here alright? Etc…you get the drift). We then somehow got onto the conversation of exes (don’t ask me how, but looking back at the direction the date took, I can only assume Rich led it there!)…I commented I had been single for around a year and had just started internet dating; I didn’t really speak to any of my exes but no hard feelings etc. Rich then began telling me about his ‘recent’ ex who he still messaged and called but she had just moved in with a new partner (he even messaged her that day to say how he was so not bothered that she had moved on – yeah, seems that way mate!) He said that he was completely over her and that the fact that he is able to talk about her so calmly and rationally must show that (ummm….the fact that you have spent the last 40 minutes telling me about her definitely does NOT show that) ‘Don’t worry, break ups are always hard in the short term, they do say time’s a healer…when did you two break up?’…’oh 3 years ago’….(um sorry, what?!) At this point I realised that my potential Mr Perfect was still pining over his Miss Perfect and that this date was doomed….however he didn’t actually stop talking and there was no appropriate break in the conversation for me to make my excuses and leave….so I ended up sitting there nodding away with a glazed look for another hour until he said ‘so, shall we go for dinner now?’ (wtf?!) ‘Um sorry Rich, I have a condition whereby I can’t eat food after 10pm – must dash!’ (Note to self – learn how to successfully extricate yourself from dates….)

No comments:

Post a Comment